Friday, April 30, 2010

Four in the Park

I ran three races three weekends in a row - I know - I am highly stupid. 

But not only was the the third in the series - it was also 4 miles!  FOUR freakin' miles!  This would be a first!

Mom and I signed up to do another run together and I was looking forward to it.  I had never run in Memorial Park (mostly because I never ran before), but it always looked so beautiful.  I was really looking forward to this run.

However, doing three races back to back caused some issues with my leg.  I was limping around a little bit and not at all happy about the pain in my right leg.  Ironic how you break one leg, and the other is the one that hurts!

But we were committed, and I was looking forward to a PR of 4 miles!

Dad drove us to the park, and took his coffee and a book so that he could enjoy the park while he waited for us to be finished.  I guess I should have given him a heads up on how long it might be!

Mom and I both wore our tech shirts - and as geeky as we looked - I was grateful.  The weather was hot and humid, as it always is in Houston.  It was sunny and 80 degrees by the time the race was over.  Pheeew!

Mom and I started out together, and by the first mile I felt like I was doing pretty well.  I could see Mom trying to stay with me, but I told her to go ahead and that I would meet her at the finish line.  I kept her in my sights for a while, but then she was gone - fast, little bugger that one! 

My first split was 12:15 in the first mile, and 12:30 for the second mile - I felt awesome!  I was kicking some A - go team go - and all that cheerleader crap.

And then mile three hit.  The course was not very supported in water stations, and I was hot.  This was the hottest day that I had run on, I was on my third run in three weeks, and I was tired!  I needed that water - and there was not any until mile 3.  Wow!

Here is where my split times go from great to not-so-great.  Mile three was roughly a 15:00/mile and the final mile I was damn near crawling my way back to the finish line.  I felt like some old biddy as I yelled at kids to get out of my way - because there was no going around.  There were all dressed in jeans and carrying purses, playing in the street - and I yelled at them to move.  I think it might have been the Imma Punchya face that convinced them!

I made it across the finish line - grunting and crying (seems to be a theme) - and saw Mom!  She was trying to talk to me, but I can't even hear what she is saying.  All I know is that at some point she handed me a bottle of water - which I downed.  And then I took her beer - and chugged that as well. 

While I could finally make people noises, we decided to go into the after-party and get more beer!  I was just thrilled to be upright!  We ran into a few ladies who told me how awesome my mother was - trust me - I know.  Mom ran an insane 10:00/mile - she is a freakin machine!

After than we tracked down Dad, got back in the car, and bemoaned the whole way home about how it was seriously too early to be getting up and running four miles.  But I hope we do it again next year - who knows maybe by then I will have a 10:00/mile!

The best part of this picture - there are actually people behind me!  Who knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment