Thursday, April 29, 2010

Four Months into the Game

I am a bright person.  Seriously.  But I have done some extremely bone-head things.

Exhibit A:




On December 9, 2008 I shattered my ankle and broke one of my small leg bones while playing roller derby.  I had thought that I had broken a bone before as I chipped off part of my rotator bone from my left wrist once (oddly, while roller blading); I even have four vertebrae permanently "compressed" from a 30 foot fall into a construction site; but trust me - I had never broken anything until this night.

I fell, I screamed, I cussed, I felt blood in my skate boot.  I hurt! 

I had to have emergency surgery as the bones wouldn't set in place and I kinda threatened the surgeon that I might punch him if he kept trying to force them back into place. 

I went through a neon blue cast, a neon pink one, a fancy air boot, and a whole heap of rehab.  I was even cleared to skate again - but not for contact.  So I became a derby ref until I moved to Galveston and the closest derby team was almost 2 hours away.

All of this back story will help explain my current rationale - promise!

I had been told I would not be able to walk again (30 foot fall), I had been told that running would be unlikely (ankle surgery) - and for some inane reason I thought that running might be a fabulous sport to pick up as derby was no longer a feasible option.

I come from a family of runners.  Mom has even run the Boston Marathon.  I, on the other hand, enjoyed sports that were less "sporty."  I was the kid on the soccer field picking flowers - true.  I haven't "run" since I hit puberty.

So while I can not tell you why I chose this as my goal for 2010 - I can at least let you enjoy my moments of idiocy and give you a ton of juice for which to pick on me.  Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment