Friday, April 30, 2010

Hapy Saint Paddy's Day

Most people with my genealogy drink to celebrate St. Paddy's Day - I mean he was the guy that cast out all of the snakes from Ireland, the guy who described the Holy Trinity in terms of a shamrock.  I should have gone out to the pub and had a beer - but instead . . .

I ran.  Well, jogged.  Actually - crawled my way back to the finish line.

I signed up to run in the Houston eye people's "Lookin' Good Shamrock Strut."  Trust me when I tell you that there was no lookin' good - at least not for me.

It was a beautiful 60 degree day and cloudy, which turned into rain around mile 2.  This was a blessing as it turns out.  As my body was burning from the inside out, and I needed to cool down!

I was wearing my new Mobile Leprechaun tee-shirt that was to be our team shirt for the Azalea Trail run the following weekend.  In case you have never heard of the Mobile Leprechaun, I have linked the You Tube video below for you.  I assure you - it is worth the look - way funnier than anything I could ever write. 


Sooo - I heard the gun and took off.  I was in the middle of the pack, and by the first mile I was near the back - but that's ok.  Being in the back is relaxing (or so I tell myself).

I should tell you that not only was this a 5K, but a 10K.  So there were tons of people passing me the whole morning.  Speedy people, zooming by you one time, to circle back and do it again.  I just want to ask them how insane they are!

The most important thing that I took away from this run was that I need fluid roughly every mile.  I am not fast enough to only need it every few miles because I can run 2 miles in 16 minutes like to other runners.  This will come into play later - I promise some AWESOME pictures of my new geeky hydration belt.  Because I just didn't look stupid enough!

However, the other important tidbit for me - is that I completed this entire race without once taking a break to walk.  My leg was in pain, but I was smiling.  I think I am beginning to enjoy this running thing.

I finished in 46:42 with a 15:02/mile.  Not my best - but not my worst either!  Also, the Imma Punchya face made it's first appearance at the finish line:


No comments:

Post a Comment