Saturday, May 1, 2010

Go Go Gadget Geeky Belt

It's Saturday morning, and in the time honored tradition of enjoying the weekend - I went for a run.  But before I could run today - I had to prepare. 

Yesterday evening I stopped by the running store on the island and talked to Kim and Steven about my calf.  They had suggested some compression sleeves for my calves to run in - and apparently sleep in.  Who knew!

I even bought The Stick to roll over my injured muscles and give them a form of trigger point massage while I watch the TV.  I mean - why run when you have crap like this!


So I spent Friday night, icing my leg while wearing compression sleeves, eating sherbet, and using the stick thingy during a showing of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (quite good).

You see - I thought derby was expensive - skate boots were a couple hundred dollars, wheels were about $70, and pins in my leg cost $2000 - each.  I really thought running would be a nice, inexpensive way to get fit and have fun. 

And it might be - if I were Steve Prefontaine.  But alas - I am the gimp and require gear.



This wonderful gadget is my new bat-belt.  On it I can carry up to four bottles of fluid or GU.  It has a pocket for a cell phone, ipod, or makeup, a place for your ID and a key, and you can even attach you race bib to it.  What can I say - I like to accessorize!

I also need to hydrate - because as some of your readers know - I am not a camel and need fluids about every mile.  Particularly as the summer begins to heat up.

Now I left the house looking like this:



I was too embarrassed to show my face - but the only nice thing about this look is the Guinness hat on my head. 

I am wearing:

Aisics running shoes : $140
Some non-cotton socks: $10
Compression sleeves: $60
Running tights: $30
15 yr old umbros with a hole in the crotch - priceless
Amphipod Hydro Belt: $65
Tech Shirts: $25
Jog Bra (extra sturdy): $40

And that doesn't include the sunscreen, ipod, earphones, ball cap, and undies.  So for a 3.5 mile fun run around the neighborhood - I was wearing almost $400 in clothes and crap.  WTF!

Which wouldn't be silly - if I wasn't the 14:00/mile girl.  That kinda gear on a fit, fast runner - like the Go Fasters - makes sense and probably looks cool.  On me - well - you can only imagine!

But to the run -

I slept in.

I had intended to get up at 7:00am and be out of the house by 7:30 enjoying the morning breeze and the coolness.  I awoke at 8:30.  I fed dogs, wrangled the muddy ones into a corral, get dressed, scarfed down 210 calories, got suited up in my awesome outfit and finally left the house around 9:30.

But hey man - for about 1.5 miles I was doing awesome - and then I took a wrong turn.  There is a street that runs next to the state park, you can only turn left off of it.  I assumed that there were a limited number of left turns - like say 2 - I was wrong.

I took the first left, dead ended. 
I ran back, took the second left, dead ended.
I cussed - and walked back.
I jogged to the end of the street - there are FOUR left turns off the damn street. 
I gave the remaining two turns the finger as I clodhopped by, hit the end of the street, and turned back.


I began making bargains to myself - run to the palm tree, then you can walk.  And then my mind would begin to argue back - which palm tree, there is one 5 feet away, another 15, another 30, another 35, another 200 feet away, etc.  I then chose a landscaping truck parked on the side of the road as my place to allow myself to walk- it moved 2 houses down.  I cussed.   

Finally, I made the turn back onto my home street and like a rock star pulled out all of the stops.  I had supercharge power for about 5 seconds.  Then I returned to clodhopping.

So let me sum up my morning -

it was hot - I wore all black.
I took some wrong turns - I cussed.
I went insanely slow - what else is new?!
I went out wearing $400 - I came back wearing $400 - SUCCESS!

I can safely say that wearing that kinda money in items and clothes does keep me from jumping in a canal and swimming back to the house.  I would have been cool, faster, and happier - but would have had to spend that money all over again!

Monday - hills!  Go team go.  Rah.

2 comments:

  1. Rah Rah ree - Kick em in the knee!!
    Rah Rah rass - Kick em in the other knee!!
    Seriously. If any of the "Go fasters" gives you a hard time, that "imma punchya" face goes a loooooong way. I seen it, I know it and believe me, they'll learn quickly that you are not one to be trifled with. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww - that's sweet - thanks Amber!

    So far the Go Fasters have been nothing but supportive, but let's see what happens after one of them has to get partnered with my slow ass!

    Mwahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete