Saturday, May 22, 2010

I Sooo Totally Quit!

Just kidding - but man did today's run bit!

I've been a little stressed out lately.  I have been watching four big dogs (well, one is a little monster that thinks he's a big dog).  I have projects lined up on my desk to where I have no open areas, papers just stacked.  My performance plan ends in August, and I want to have a stellar one - so that is stressing me out.  Our team is heading into the field for the first time in a week or so, and that is also driving me crazy.  So overall - I was REALLY looking forward to running on the beach today.

I love walking the beach with the dogs, it is so peaceful.  The wind, the seagulls, the water breaking - just magnificent.  I honestly thought today running on the beach would be the same. 

Ya - NO!


I made the one mile down to the beach with a pace of about 14:11/mile.  I was going slow so that I had somewhere to go in the following miles.  At least that is what I told myself!  But I ran down the neighborhood streets, feeling pretty good.  There were a few people moving around that early in the morning. and we all waved to each other.  Very calming.  I knew I was fighting the wind, but I kept thinking about how nice it would be for the jog back.

And then - I found the beach. 


Even with earphones on, all I could hear was full gusting winds.  I never imagined this kind of fight.  I didn't get to enjoy my nice run on the beach to mellow out and relax.  Instead, I fought the entire time I was on the sand.  It was rough.  I tried arguing with my head and forcing myself to keep going, but I just couldn't.  I had to walk.  I was just too tired.  I felt defeated.

But I got back moving again, only to have to walk a short time later, and again when I returned to the sidewalks of the neighborhood.  But I jogged the mile or so in.  But my splits are terrible, and I felt horrible when I finally turned into my driveway.  Seriously, my head hurt, my legs hurt, I kept asking myself how in the hell was I going to do 13.1 miles when 4.5 miles kicked my ass so badly.

But then I relaxed, stretched out some, and climbed the stairs to the house.  And you know what - I felt great!  I felt energized and happy.  I poured myself some chocolate milk, grabbed a powerade, and took the dogs on the back porch. 

And I know this picture would be better if I had moved the chair, but as good as I felt, I wasn't pushing it. 

So it is now 12:55pm, I have been up since 6am.  I have run 4.5 miles (barely), baked a cake, finished cleaning the house, finished two loads of laundry, made my own lunch, and now I am waiting for my friends to show up for the bbq.  And odd as it sounds - I am not tired, I feel fabulous, and I am not stressed (but wait for Monday).   So watch out 13.1 miles - I am coming for ya (albeit slowly). 

And if you were interested:





And it seems that not only was I running on sand, against the wind without any place to hide, but the elevation kept changing on me - I never even noticed it.  Wow!

Well - party tonight, hills on Monday!  Go team go - rah.

No comments:

Post a Comment