Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tuberculosis and Sprints - New Torture!

I apologize for the lateness of this post - but I have been having internet issues.  I hope to have that resolved this week.  But the show must go on . . .

Wednesday was my return to USA Fit training after missing all of last week and this Monday due to Memorial Day.  I was honestly happy to be back, but I was still feeling a little under the weather.

I had cancelled my training this week on Tuesday and Thursday since I was supposed to be at sea those days, but the trip was delayed due to our ship being reassigned for BP clean-up crews.  So Tuesday I went to the gym and used the stairstepper and the precor ADT, and even ran on the treadmill at incline 7 hoping to simulate the parking garage Leno makes us run.  Not a lengthy workout, but still a workout nonetheless.

So I showed up Wednesday in an incredibly mis-matched outfit, looking like a zombie and singing along to EMF - Ohhh - You're Unbelievable!  We did our standard 1.2 mile warm-up and I did pretty well.  I stayed with the pack for a longer period of time, but then I dropped back and even had to walk a few ticks due to a coughing jag. 

Once back at the track we did our silly warm-ups and were then told that our sprints this week would be 1 min on, 1 min rest; 2 min on, 2 min rest; 3 min on, 3 min rest; 3 min on, 3 min rest; 2 min on, 2 min rest; 1 min on, 1 min rest.  Holy hell.

Knowing I was sick - I didn't give it 100% - I am sure of that, but I did give it all could.  At the end of the 1 min sprint, I started coughing and bile was hanging out in my throat teasing me with a full-on vomit.  As it turns out I have shy bile - after the entire sprint sets I still hadn't thrown up, but still had the taste in my mouth and was coughing like a mad person. 



I was asked if I was OK a few times, and even asked if I had TB while we were doing our plank and crunches.  It was a really rough day for me - I gotta say.  But I made it through and felt pretty good about that. 

I also was admonished for looking at my Garmin too often to track my pace, and I need to get better about just running and not focusing on the speed or distance - just do the drills and focus on that.  I will aim to do that on Monday.

Regardless - another fun day of torture and one more training day closer to my half marathon.

Go team go - rah.

No comments:

Post a Comment