Thursday, July 29, 2010

Weary Wednesday

I haven't slept well all week.

Let me set the scene for you - I am babysitting my parent's dog, as well as living with my two dogs and my cat.  I have a dog who is a little nervous, and a raving, psychotic cat.

Since Monday my house has been undergoing cyclical power surges.  This means that all lights get very bright, and then the power flickers off - leaving the UPSs and the AC units to beep until they flicker back on.  When the lights do come back on, they dim up and down for a while until finding a happy medium.  This happened about 2-3 times every 10 minutes.

So basically I have been afraid that my house was going to burn down around me while I would be herding animals in an attempt to escape.  And not only was I going insane - but my cow dog decided that the beeping and odd lighting was scary and tried to sleep under and behind furniture.  So she would shove her way behind the couch and get stuck, or claw her way under the dresser and sleep on top of my running shoes.  Each time the power cycled off, she freaked and changed hide-outs.

And don't even get me started on the cat - that monster took the beeps as her cue to go into superfreak mode.  So each and every time the power went off she became turbo-charged and ran through the house with a keening wail - leaping off the pillows on the bed (where my head was), over baby gates, under furniture, knocking over anything in her 10 pound way.

So - like I said - I haven't slept well all week.

I came home from work yesterday and met the power company (again).  Fingers crossed that this time they would actually fix the problem.  Happily, they were able to.

However, as my calves were still solid from my run on Monday in my new Newtons and I was exhausted from all of the fun nights I have had this week - the last thing I wanted to do was run.

But I did anyway.

I went out sometime after 7pm in my Newtons to run a few miles.  I still had a full belly from my 6pm feeding, but figured that if I was sick during the run - that was punishment for the pizza I had.  Catholic guilt even covers eating habits - who knew!

I went out feeling pretty good, my calves loosened up a little, and I was singing along to my music.  After 4 minutes of running, I walked my 1 minute.  Then I was told to run in 3, 2, 1 - run.  Over and over again.

As I think I might have gone too far on Monday - I only planned for a 2 mile run.  I hit my one mile and turned back to go home.

I hit my driveway, winded and feeling pretty strong.

A nice, short run to end my day.

And the numbers - holy hell!

Overall, for the 4 minute run times I average a moving pace of 11:50/mile.  WTF!

Back in April at the first Fit2Run session we did a time trial.  We had to run 1 mile, tested for 2 miles, and ran back to the store (1 mile) - my time that day was 13:54/mile.  When I first started running on New Year's Eve, my average pace was 15:05/mile.

Now I know that I am kinda cheating with the whole run/walk thing - but anyway you look at this - I got faster!  I am kinda blown away.

Today I plan on cranking out 4 miles.  Should prove interesting.

Oh - and last night - slept like a baby curled up in a full sized bed with two 90# dogs, one 55# dog, and a 10# cat.  Bliss!


Go team go - grrrrrrr!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, no way run/walk is cheating! You did the miles, you scored the time and you get the kudos!

    So KUDOS!!!!!! That is awesome improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you so much Trish! I need to get my head right and force it to understand that run/walk is acceptable.

    Thanks for the Kudos! Good luck in your runs!

    ReplyDelete